I learned this game from my friend Darcy. Basically, you write out a set of 10 constraints and give yourself 2 min to respond to each – write them out, toss them in a pile, draw one at random, start the timer, write, repeat.
Just like the songwriting game, the goal is to get yourself out of your head. You can use this as a warm-up, or, if you like what you come up with, shape it up into a proper poem.
I’ve loaded this up to generate a set of constraints from the ones I’ve used over the past few months. Every time you refresh the page you should see a different combination. Feel free to use these or create your own!
- describe the shape of an emotion
- write 2 lines in iambic pentameter
- use a random word from your scrap paper
- use syballance
- use a shape, a color, and an insect
- use the dictionary app's WOTD
- repeat a line
- use the word "______" (pick a word - "waiting", "resolve", ...)
- write in 6,8,6,8
- use a random phrase from your phrase cache
I’d love to hear what you come up with – either ideas for constraints or what you create. Drop me a line or comment here to share!